I have moved off of GCS to sitegrounds. Works out to 5 times less expensive in dollars, and 25 times less expensive in time. Sitegrounds: https is instant, FTP is instant, WP instant, blank site instant, and I can fucking use email from my domain. Each of those was clusterfuck of pain on GCS. I was able to move 5 full WP sites and two handmade sites in a few hours. In the meantime I am unable to gain access to GCS SSH because of key ratfuckery.
GCS is beyond opaque and operates not unlike a cellphone data plan where their shitty docs lead to errors that you pay for. That is the simple assessment of GCS. Anyways I wasn’t smart enough to make it work. 😉
There is a now a gorked webhook on this site. You can plainly see that at the top of the page. I am not going to fix it. I am continuing to work on the static site instead.
There is a rewrite going on. Not just rule updates but grammar updates. The run on sentence and passive voice are being exterminated. The task is herculean in many ways. There is a lot of data and writing is hard. The rule reworking is fun. Really fun. The main rework is extending the tactical combat system to a complete rule system called Roll Playing Rules. The theatrical combat system is being extended as well and will have a minimal roll rule set called the Role Playing Rules. Not creating anything new, just pulling apart a previously enmeshed system. Now referee and players can start out in either system and face less snags between the two systems.
I have pretty much embraced the markup language AsciiDoc. The constrictions of the online editor feel conspicuous and Gutenberg feels like an abomination. Can’t say I am too old for change. I made a major change. I am too old for UX assholes making me change my workflow for their mock turtleneck square glasses bullshit.
This arm of the project ends on June 2 2020 regardless of it’s status. As of today I am 0 days behind schedule. The reason is that I am not a good writer. Restructuring and writing tables is fun and easy. Correcting incoherent writing is a lot hard. A lot slower. I may make some of those fun project completion graphics that I made for version 5.0.
<there is supposed to be an image here, but today WP is not uploading images>
I managed to break the footer today. I am not even sure how I broke it. To edit the footer requires one to find the footer menu that has the content. It is not in Footer CSS, Footer Typography, or Footer Layout. There is no footer content. The take home here is that just because something is in a GUI does not mean it is easier to use or better. These parameters change from theme to theme and from iteration to iteration. CLI web page creation has it’s blemishes as well. However in the end I am finding AsciiDoc and Antora faster and less painful than WP. WP still has an important place in the world of online content.